View Single Post
Old January 10 2013, 01:55 AM   #232
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
FalTorPan wrote: View Post
"The Chase." Loved it. Hartnell is underrated.
Hartnell is very much underrated. There are some...err...ordinary serials in his era but his Doctor (along with many of his companions) is brilliant, IMO.
There's no such thing as an "ordinary" William Hartnell serial. They're all either brilliant, or they're unintentionally hilarious! "Take them to the Security Kitchen!"

Count Zero wrote: View Post
In enjoyed that one a lot, too. A chase through time and space is a pretty cool story idea and I loved the different places they went to. The appearance of the Beatles on the Doctor's TV thing was a nice treat for me as a fan.
Sadly, the Beatles scene was cut from the American DVD release because they couldn't get the music rights.

I was recently playing a Western themed card game called High Noon Saloon with my friends. At various points, I couldn't help but start singing "The Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon" from the Hartnell story "The Gunfighters." My friends were so intrigued that we spent most of New Year's Eve watching "The Gunfighters" and making up new verses to the song.

Come to think of it, it sometimes seems that the only stories I ever show them are quirky Hartnell stories like "The Romans," "The Web Planet," & "The Gunfighters." (I also showed them "The Happiness Patrol," but that's really the only other classic story that's trippy enough that it could have been a Hartnell story.) I'm thinking of bringing over "The Chase" next time I'm there.

I just finished "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" last night. I can definately see why this story is so well liked. Jago & Litefoot are a lot of fun. Tom Baker looks perfect in his Sherlock Holmes costume. And I keep forgetting how much I love Leela. This story may be her best one of all. "Now put our prisoner to the torture!" (Trekkie note: Mr. Sin is played by Deep Roy, who would later play Keenser, Scotty's alien midget sidekick in Star Trek (2009).)