View Single Post
Old January 10 2013, 12:37 AM   #205
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Timby wrote: View Post
Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
I was hoping Jack Morris would get voted in. Thought he had a good shot this year. I guess after being on the ballot for 14 years, he's kind of been forgotten.
Morris is an absolutely terrible Hall of Fame candidate. JAWS has him as the 167th best starting pitching candidate for the Hall. Let's say that method is massively unkind to Morris and he's actually in the 60s; only one person from 60-69 is in, and all but Eddie Cicotte are eligible. He'd instantly become one of the worst pitchers in the Hall. I'd be hard-pressed to even call him a borderline candidate; he belongs in the Hall of Good.

The following pitchers were better than Jack Morris, statistically speaking, in roughly the same era and didn't have a prayer at getting into the Hall: Dave Stieb, David Cone, Kevin Brown, Orel Hershiser, Brett Saberhagen, David Wells, Kevin Appier. I can't think of a single statistical argument for Morris in the Hall.

Next year it's only gonna get more complicated. Maddux, Glavine, Kent, Thomas, and Mussina are all likely to command a high number of votes. Normally I'd say Maddux and Glaivine both are first balloters, but hard to say with the widening field.
Maddux, Thomas and Glavine are all perceived as completely clean on steroids and way, way over the statistical markers, they should coast in and I would expect Maddux to have one of the highest vote totals in history (though he won't beat Seaver, thanks to the jackasses who return blank ballots).

Kind of bummed that Kenny Lofton was a one-and-done.

In any event, I want to know who submitted a vote for Aaron fuckin' Sele.
Thomas will get lost in the shuffle...at BBTF there's some real concern that Kent will be one and done, which would be a tragedy. My prediction is that he'll stay on the ballot but not top 30%.