View Single Post
Old January 9 2013, 09:29 PM   #124
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

YARN wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
The line was shot. I've seen a workprint of the film at UCLA, which includes this short scene, and Shatner flubs the take.

(Of course, it's a good thing Sulu wasn't promoted. If he was, he'd probably have departed the series.)
Can you verify this? I mean it sounds interesting and I am not calling you out, but as one anonymous person on the internet to another, this is pretty thin as far as evidence goes.
I only have the audio from the workprint. I may put it online at some point, when I have a moment to edit the roughly 90 minutes (it's missing the last reel, presumably to keep Spock's death a secret) into shorter segments.

This is how I transcribed the scene, which I suppose isn't much help, since I assume it matches the shooting script pretty closely.

SULU
Well, Iím delighted. Any chance to go aboard the Enterprise, however briefly. Itís always an excuse for nostalgia.

KIRK
Well, with Spock as Captain you donít think Iím going to turn anything up, do you?

CUT-AWAY to STOCK from TMP

KIRK
(looks down at Sulu, looks back up)
By the end of the month, youíll have your own command, the U.S.S. Excelsior.

MCCOY
Well, congratulations, Commander.

SULU
Thank you, sir. Iíve been looking forward to that for a long time.

KIRK
Well I for one am glad to have you at the helm for three weeks. I donít think these kids can steer.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote