View Single Post
Old January 9 2013, 04:45 PM   #79
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston
Re: The SINGLE GREATEST MOMENT in TOS !!!

Okay, since most of you have taken my choice for Edith Keeler's death for sheer emotional dramatic impact, I'm gonna go with Kirk's most Bad-Ass moment, and narrowest escape...

"Now! Energize and detonate!"

When I was a kid, "Obsession" bored me stiff (and the cloud creature effect looked really lame), but that last few minutes, where Spock & Scotty are desperately trying to retrieve Kirk's & Garrovick's scattered molecules while the ship is being buffeted by shock waves from a planet that has just had its atmosphere stripped away... well, it was quite the nail-biter.

Now, watching as an adult, this is one of my favorite episodes, largely due to the evolution of the question, "Is this a creature, or just a random gas cloud?" to "Is this an intelligent creature?", then finally, "Does this intelligent creature pose a threat to the rest of the galaxy?"

Like "Devil in the Dark", this was one of the best examples of the "seek out new life" tagline of the show.