View Single Post
Old January 9 2013, 10:29 AM   #68
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

Christopher wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And that's not a counter-argument. Or do you really believe that 2001 could be made today, as it was then?
I don't believe any film could be made today as it was then, because the cultural and technological contexts are so different. Any work of art is a product of its time.
Yes, now you're getting it.

But that doesn't legitimize insulting stereotypes and generalizations about an entire generation.
You've got to be kidding.

Christopher wrote: View Post
It occurs to me that it's a category error to compare 2001 to today's sci-fi action blockbusters and say that it couldn't be made today, because it wasn't that kind of a film. It's totally the wrong comparison. There are still more thoughtful, intellectual, slow-paced SF films being made today; they're just independent films, like Moon, Primer, or if you go back a few years, Soderbergh's Solaris. So it's a complete falsehood to claim that no audiences or filmmakers today would be interested in a film like 2001. It might be valid to say that such a film would be unlikely to get made as a big-budget tentpole by a major studio such as MGM, though.
Which... is... exactly... what... we're... talking... about.

tighr wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And that's not a counter-argument. Or do you really believe that 2001 could be made today, as it was then?
One of the reasons I like Christopher Nolan films is that he goes out of his way to actually make stunts realistic. In Inception, he actually built the hallway on a gimble and tumbled his actors. He built a second hallway vertically and suspended JGL from wires. He actually had a train drive through a city street (albeit, not a real train, a fake one, and he used CGI for the torn up asphalt). In Dark Knight, he actually flipped a frickin Semi truck. The Batpod was a real working motorcycle.

Anyhoo, I think that there are directors who could make 2001 today.
I don't understand what you're saying. The point is that 2001, a big-budget, epic, leisurely paced, abstract and philosophical Science Fiction film with no explosions, space battles or other spectacular devastation would not be made today or appreciated by the mainstream audience if it were. How does Nolan's work, typical of the action blockbuster that does make money, contradict that?