View Single Post
Old January 8 2013, 09:01 PM   #20
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Episode of the Week: Skin of Evil

Another thumbs-up form me. Another episode that I have remembered through shit-tinted spectacles and that has surprised me. I was going to mention that crappy blood-stain on Yar's face, but it's already been mentioned. I usually type something about the continuity errors, but someone already mentioned the matter-antimatter 35:1 intermix ratio. So instead I'll focus on the excellence -

Troi and Worf both shine in this. It really does feel as though one character has stepped aside to allow these two to shine. You do feel pity for Armus - totally unexpected. This is where the writing begins to shine - "All spirits are enslaved that serve evil" - from Percy Shelley. I love the lines in the funeral scene - "Jean-Luc, the heart of an explorer and the soul of a poet", "death is that state in which one exists only in the memories of others, which is why it is not an end. No goodbyes, just good memories." My Dad died recently and I realise now that I must have subconciously gotten my philosophy on death from watching this as a kid! Then the moment where Data "get's it". Had me welling-up! Brilliant.

And I'm glad we never got those episodic promo's in the UK - that left no surprises unsprung!

Last edited by MikeS; January 8 2013 at 09:18 PM.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote