View Single Post
Old January 8 2013, 09:05 AM   #43
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: Australians - heat and fire

It's been a horrible day here. As I type the temperature is still around 30 C and the day-long high wind has, if anything, picked up over the last hour or so. There are currently around 140 fires burning across NSW, including one much closer to home than I ever want to see. We're not in any immediate danger here but knowing that people I know and places I've been to are under threat, and that people I know have been out there all day trying to deal with a fire in these appalling conditions is...yeah.

Several of these fires were deliberately lit. If there's a lower form of life than a person who would even consider deliberately lighting a fire in the sorts of conditions we're presently experiencing, I don't want to know what it might be. I'd like to see all their possessions gathered together and torched. I wonder how much they'd like that.

marillion, you of all people here know what we're up against in this country just now. I'd like to be able to answer your question in an intelligent manner, but I cant, so I'll just thank you for the good thoughts.

Things have deteriorated again in Tasmania and Victoria has also been badly affected. None of this is going to go away any time soon.

Summer? You (general you) can have it.