View Single Post
Old January 7 2013, 08:57 PM   #600
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

AloriaDax wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
AloriaDax wrote: View Post
I'm gonna say no for extremely selfish reasons. I like Star Trek perfectly the way it was. My whole life has been all about Star Trek and now I could give a shit about the "NuTrek" that has been coming out. I am not at all looking forward to the new movie and it pisses me off to no end that JJ Abrams is doing Star Trek now even though he was never a fan before. I know that in order to get more fans a reboot was necessary, but to be honest, I don't care about new fans. I want my Star Trek to be the way it always was. I don't want or care for this "NuTrek", it means nothing to me.
Bolding, mine.

I've always been curious about that POV in fandom (really any Fandom, not just Trek). Would the person rather the franchise whether and die out that be retooled and retold for new generations?
To answer your question: The franchise would never die out to me because I have the DVDs to watch over and over so it would always be a part of my life. And I think it is that way with a lot of people. It will always be a part of their lives. They will teach their children to love it. It wouldn't die out if they didn't make any more movies. I don't believe that at all.
Your opinion has a sort of, "You kids and your modern music!" ring to it, but you have a perfectly legitimate point of view. If I hadn't liked ST09, or Abrams had taken it in what I thought was a ridiculous direction (female Scotty, or whatever), I probably wouldn't have been interested in it, either. I may have thought it more of an opportunity lost rather than not caring at all, though.
But I happened to like ST09 a lot, and so far the next movie sounds intriguing, too. So -- .

BTW, have you seen ST09? It's not clear from your post. If you didn't like it, you're hardly alone here.