View Single Post
Old January 7 2013, 08:51 PM   #238
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: New JJ Abrams interview

Ovation wrote: View Post
AloriaDax wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
As expected, he doesn't give anything serious away.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/169...j-abrams.jhtml
This is what I am talking about. This is why I DGAF about this guy. This is why he pisses me off. He loves that they didn't make the movie for the fans? What is that? Who did you make it for then? He's not even a fan. I wish someone who was a fan was doing the new movies. Someone who loves Star Trek would have done a much better job at making me care about the "NuTrek".
You do understand that Paramount studios is a "for profit" business that does not have as its primary mission the goal of ensuring a tiny group of purists will have their expectations met at the expense of attaining commercial success, right?

Moreover, you are being far too literal-minded in your quest to feel offence at what Abrams said. The context of his statement is clearly meant to indicate the film was made to be intelligible and interesting to the general public, as well as Star Trek fans (rather than for Trek fans first and everyone else later). As a fan since 1973, having seen every episode ever made (many in multiples of ten, for TOS, the rest at least 3 time each, if not more), every movie (again, multiple times each) and having read over 100 novels and nearly as many comics set in the Trek universe, I have ZERO problems with Abrams' statement--I applaud it wholeheartedly. He's not dismissing Trek fans, he's trying to enlarge the scope of its fan base. So far, he's doing quite well in that endeavour.

Does every last Trek fan have to like Abrams' version? Of course not. It's like ice cream. I love ice cream. I'm the biggest fan of ice cream I know. I don't like every flavour of ice cream out there, though (I loathe pistachio ice cream, for one thing). Others love pistachio ice cream. Good for them. I don't but I also don't deny pistachio ice cream is actually ice cream. Different flavours for different tastes.

As for your statement that "someone who loves Star Trek would have done a much better job"--no guarantees there. I love Star Trek (inasmuch as one can "love" an entertainment franchise) but I have no skills in filmmaking that even remotely rival those of Abrams and co. And while I may be going out on a limb here, neither, I suspect, do you.
*My* trek would have been lauded as one of the greatest Trek films ever produced...would have made $15million and been responsible for killing off the franchise.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote