View Single Post
Old January 7 2013, 08:03 PM   #35
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Information age to "Hybrid Age"

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

I don't think any kind of utopia is particularly imaginative.
Fantasy is often imaginative, even if it can never be real.
Not necessarily.

This Singularity nonsense and "Ancient Aliens" both fail imaginatively in a similar way. The believers in ancient astronauts understand so little about history and archaeology that they cannot imagine how "primitive" people could be as inventive and creative as they were. The Singularity evangelists see the world constantly and rapidly changing and they can't imagine this as an ongoing process over long periods of time into the future with no fixed end result, so they do what those filled with anxiety and doubt about the future have always done: they resort to apocalyptic thinking.

Kurzweil doesn't want to die. Guess what - very few people do. Denial takes many forms.
As usual I think you preconceptions are way off, or generally inaccurate.

"Singularity" type predictions pre-date Kurzweil. Kurzweil popularized it because of his resume' and convincing work, as well as accurate predictions. A Singularity event does not need human-like behavior from an AI but human level AI although that is likely to happen also. A Singularity event does not need Kurzweil to tell us it will take place in his lifetime. We have math for that. Marovec already predicted an AI "event" well before Kurzweil's recent popularity.

Ancient astronauts: Not an iota of proof. Singularity: based on science and mathematical models. Still a possibility (or probability) but a good one with many extent technologies in development. They are not even remotely related.

For the 1000th time, a Singularity does not have to be a dystopia or apocalypse.

RAMA