View Single Post
Old January 7 2013, 05:17 PM   #585
mos6507
Captain

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think there are a world of flaws in Star Trek 2009 (as anyone here can tell you ) but it's also the most fun I had had with Trek since midway through TNG's run...
I agree with you that the TNG era went off the rails. At best, it was watchable, not must-watch TV. I don't agree with you that the nu-Trek approach was the right solution. I think it's possible to hate how Berman and Braga slowly ground the franchise to dust while not welcoming JJ Abrams and his lens-flare with open arms. All they really needed to do was find a better steward of the franchise without having to pass the ball to someone who saw Trek itself as something that was broken and needed a hip-hop ADD do-over.

Hollywood has a bad habit of understanding the origin of success and attributing blame for failure. They are all too eager to throw the baby out with the bathwater in order to find a successful formula to pander to prime demographics. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't, and oftentimes the critical payoff doesn't match the financial, hence perennial arguments on boards like this.