View Single Post
Old January 7 2013, 12:53 PM   #579
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm serious in the question I'm asking: why? Why does it need to be more than that? Why does it need to be anything more than a fun romp?
Well, I prefer Star Trek when it makes me think. Just my own personal taste. I know there are fans that prefer it when it is frothy action-adventure but I'm not one of them. Any show could do that kind of stuff.

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
TNG was a huge phenomenon. Somebody had to think so if it got 4 Hollywood movies based on it.
As opposed to TOS, which got 9 movies and 5 television series based on it.
Wrong. The 4 TNG movies, DS9, VOY and ENT are all due to the success of TNG. DS9 is obviously a TNG spin-off.
TNG was a TOS spin-off, even if there was about 17 years between the end of the one and the beginning of the other.

It's also likely that if the TOS movies to that point had not been popular, there would've been no TNG. Those movies showed there was still a market for Trek on TV.

Also, I personally can't think of a time any form of Trek really made me think. A lot of its moralizing was ham-fisted or preachy ("The Omega Glory", "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", "A Taste of Armageddon", and any number of Picard's speeches come to mind).
Despite what some still think, no Trek series was really cutting edge or controversial in commenting on the moral or social issues of the day, and it wasn't particularly philosophically deep. At least not more (or less) than any other TV series that did at least try to be intelligent. Believing otherwise buys into the Trek propaganda, of which there's plenty.