View Single Post
Old January 7 2013, 04:14 AM   #52
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Most hated conversations

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
Kids. I'm never going to have any of my own, so I have no interest in your brat's dance recital/soccer game/report card.
I can understand where you're coming from, but that attitude dramatically narrows down the kind of conversation you're likely to have, doesn't it?
Not really. I'm more than happy to converse on a variety of topics. I find politics and current events especially fascinating sometimes (so long as the person I'm talking to is willing to actually discuss, and not just spout talking points). If someone wants to talk about a TV show I actually do watch, I'm more than happy to talk about it (I've had some great conversations about Lost, for example, and there are a few Trek fans at work too). I can talk about some sports, as I'm a hockey and baseball fan. If you've read an interesting book, even if I haven't read it myself, I can pretty much guarantee that I'll be interested. If a person want to talk about something that happened to them personally, that can be interesting too.

It's probably because I didn't have a particularly happy childhood myself, and also because I have no real points of reference in a conversation about someone else's kids. As I said, I'm not going to be having any of my own, very few of my friends have any, and I don't have any siblings, so I don't have any nephews or nieces either.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote