View Single Post
Old January 7 2013, 03:18 AM   #570
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I know this doesn't mean anything, but they didn't rewrite continuity.
I see zero difference between "rebooting the franchise", "changing history" and re-writing continuity but as this is possibly the most tired debate topic ever I think we should agree to disagree .

Greg Cox wrote:
I nearly cheered when that space monster lunged out of the ice; when was the last time TREK indulged in some gratuitous space-monster action just for the sheer fun of it?
Nemesis. The Remans.
Nemesis and fun should never be associated with each other.
Don't be a hater.

Nemesis was eighty minutes of foreplay with a space battle at the end of it. Which is a respectable thing to do in a sci-fi movie, except in this case the leadup phase was strange and uninteresting. The space battle WAS good, but nothing else before it was.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Just thought I'd chip in on the idea TNG is somehow more popular in the UK as postulated in this thread. Having lived here all my life, I couldn't disagree more. IMHO, TOS occupies exactly the same awareness/penetration in UK popular culture as US posters have alluded to in their country.
Of course that's true.

TOS is the core of Star Trek, and the Franchise will always return to those characters and that setting.

That's just the truth. It's the way that it is. There is no more "forward evolution" going on than with Sherlock Holmes, just variation for the sake of attracting the attention of each new generation through novelty.

There have been an awful lot of Frankenstein and Dracula movies made over the last century. A lot of sequels, reworkings, shifts in characters and setting and formula have been done, and depending on the intent and skills and resources of the film makers those movies have ranged from brilliant to unwatchable to just silly and fun.

Somehow, at the end of the day they always come back around to Doctor Frankenstein stitching together corpses in his laboratory and the Count setting out for England from his family home in Transylvania, both in some earlier time than ours.
But that of course sets up the question of whether or not the spinoffs are worthy of a reboot in the future as well, or if the new continuity will spawn a whole new series of 23rd century spinoffs.

After all, if Star Trek has become a piece of cinematic folklore on par with Dracula and Frankenstein -- and I am hardly arguing that it hasn't -- then those derivative works (Bride of Frankenstein or Nosferatu) might be worth revisiting too, either in the context of the rebooted paradigm or as independent reboots with their own continuity. Either way, it's interesting that for a fictional universe as well-developed as Star Trek, the actual TOS universe is the least sophisticated and the most poorly understood aspect of it. There's ALOT of room for expansion there, reboot or not.

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; January 7 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote