View Single Post
Old January 7 2013, 01:27 AM   #564
King Daniel Beyond
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
If a new crew could take off and be a phenomenon in their own right then it could happen again. There are a whole generation of Trek fans who don't give a fuck about Kirk and Spock, yet could give you all the specs of the Enterprise-D.
I think you'll find those tech-heads who could give you the E-D's specs are a fringe element of a fringe fandom. That's why they stopped doing technical manuals in the mid-90's.

If I were in charge I'd have had a new crew and new ship. Having an interesting story is way more important than cosy nostalgia for misty-eyed 40+ year olds.
New ship/crew has been done again and again, no doubt Rick Berman told the studio he could capture TNG's lightning in a bottle again - but you've already seen the ratings charts, the generic setting of Trek with a new ship/crew is no longer profitable. The Next Gen characters were no longer profitable when Nemesis came along. The plans for the animated series Star Trek: Final Frontier (another new ship/new crew a few hundred years after TNG) quietly died.

And suggesting nuTrek is just "cosy nostalgia for misty-eyed 40-year-olds" is facepalm-worthy. Especially since I believe it was you complaining about the NOT YOUR FATHER'S STAR TREK advertising slogan earlier in this thread?
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote