View Single Post
Old January 7 2013, 02:21 AM   #563
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post

I find thinking fun, but that's beside the point.
I've got twenty plus seasons of Trek on DVD and all the movies...

But you have to have diversity in storytelling or else people will simply leave and move on to other things. Which is exactly what happened to Star Trek, they got into a happy little rut and refused to experiment within the format. The Powers That Be bought into the hype that Trek was suppose to be making social statements first and be entertainment second and by the time they it figured out people were no longer interested, it was simply too late.

For me, Star Trek became a chore near the end. I bought movie tickets and watched on TV simply because it was what I had done for twenty years straight. I wasn't there because it was compelling TV, I was there because I had always been there. I was going through the motions.

I think there are a world of flaws in Star Trek 2009 (as anyone here can tell you ) but it's also the most fun I had had with Trek since midway through TNG's run...