View Single Post
Old January 6 2013, 11:22 PM   #44
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

Hambone wrote: View Post
. . . My girlfriend had never seen 2001. It was her idea to go. She sat patiently through the whole thing. On the way out, her only comment was "What the fuck was that?"
That was the reaction of a lot of moviegoers back in 1968.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Procutus wrote: View Post
There was an excellent book on the making of the movie that was in print, way back in the 70s, and it's likely that was mentioned. The book also contained various script elements that Clarke had written, but were ultimately left out of the film.
The Lost Worlds of 2001. I have it and refer to it often. The best parts are the lost chapters from the novel that describe the alien civilization behind the Monolith and their representative Clindar. "Skyrock," "Cosmopolis" et cetera. They are among the most exotic and wonderful descriptions of alien worlds that I've ever read.
There's also The Making of Kubrick's 2001, edited by Jerome Agel, which, in addition to plenty of technical info, has lots of contemporary reviews and media commentary. ("The Critics Loved It . . . The Critics Hated It!" reads the back-cover blurb.)

JustAFriend wrote: View Post
Saw it when it premiered in 1968. In 70mm Cinerama.

The moon and Jupiter sequences looked 3-D in 70mm.

I've seen it in re-releases on standard movie screens and you just have no idea how much less you're seeing. Shame that Cinerama didn't stick around.
If you saw the movie in 70mm on a conventional flat screen, or even in 35mm anamorphic, you saw exactly the same image that was shown on the curved Cinerama screen. The curved screen just causes distortion that may give an illusion of a kind of 3D.

Real Cinerama, which used three cameras and three projectors, was used for only a handful of movies because the process was so technically cumbersome.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I liked Hyams's 2010, although his decision to make it more topical by ramping up the Cold War tensions made it very dated in retrospect, and I could've done without the bits where people were standing around normally in the zero-gravity parts of Discovery.
2001 suffered from the same spotty depiction of weightlessness. The scenes in the Discovery's pod bay, for example, play as if the astronauts are in normal gravity.

Last edited by scotpens; January 6 2013 at 11:34 PM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote