View Single Post
Old January 6 2013, 08:51 PM   #25
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: 2024 is only a decade away -- are you a gimme, or a dim?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Some people are not so lucky
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
You were lucky
Planning, not luck. I'd read in the financial news that the company was expanding it's work force, I had deliberately built up a excellent work history at other jobs, I had a spotless driving record, I applied for every position they had open. And after I heard that they would be filling some positions that same day, I sat in the outer office for 6 hours (wide awake now) where the boss and the girl from HR would see me ... with work gloves sticking out of my front pocket.

I had made myself "hireable."

Minimum wage where I live is just over $1,400 a month now. A few years back I lived with 5 roommates in a 2 bedroom apartment.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Enlist to kill people!
Protecting your community and nation, military service is the country's oldest (and yes most dangerous) form of public service. Start your adult life and change your direction. Looks great on a future job resume. Educational benefits. They do pay you, feed you, house you. VA administration makes it real easy to get your first home. If you join at age 18 you can be retired from the military at age 38. Comes with life long medical care.

And you cease being unemployed.

President Obama said in his inaugural address that those in military service "embody the spirit of service—a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves."

You may have researched the company and sat around for six hours; you were still lucky that they didn't simply say "sorry" at the end of it and cast you off. Being hireable doesn't guarantee success in finding work. And many other people wouldn't have had the "excellent work history" you possessed, perhaps because they hadn't been able to reliably find work before then? To say nothing of those suffering psychological conditions that might make them less suitable for many positions. If you were able to "deliberately" build up a great record, then you were doing rather well, relatively speaking. And good for you, of course.

As for the military pitch, well, this is where you and I differ, isn't it? A situation wherein people feel that their best option for eventual self-sufficiency is joining the military and therefore legally surrendering much of their initiative and freedom strikes me as somewhat twisted reasoning, and essentially exploitative. Serve the government and then you'll get the ability to build a life. Somehow I don't think that's how its supposed to work. Perhaps if more of the many billions of dollars the US spends on its military were channelled into housing, social support networks, etc, people could live comfortably without having to sell themselves into service to do so?

I don't mean to be rude, T'Girl, because you're a very pleasant member of the board, so please don't take this the wrong way, but you talk about having to apply for every job available, having to sit for hours in the hopes that someone would see you, of living with five people in a dwelling meant for two....and this is somehow a source of pride? Don't you think that it shouldn't be that way?

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; January 6 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote