View Single Post
Old January 6 2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

2. Vanishing Point (✩✩✩) - DVD - I added this to my ziplist after reading Mr. Adventure's post last year...

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Vanishing Point 1971
Nihilistic existentialist classic with a man only known as Kowalski, a supercharged white Challenger, a fistful of uppers and an ill-advised bet to San Francisco in an impossible amount of time. This is like ST:TMP which I recently watched, where you just have to sit back and let it wash over you. Lots of desert, lots of wild driving, a blind DJ named Supersoul chronicling the journey, a naked woman riding a motorcycle, and so on and along the way hints of the failed life that brought Kowalski to this point. Nothing is really fully explained, and it's open for interpretation, I'm not even sure if it's all real, so it's probably different for everyone.

Now I need to go watch Two Lane Blacktop again...

This sums it up nicely
I wasn't bowled over, but I enjoyed the ride. I was a bit let down by the ending, but was also willing to give it some thought.

Reading up on the movie, I'm surprised at how influential it was. Apparently Steven Spielberg called it one of his favorite movies of all time, Quentin Tarantino used it as an inspiration for Death Proof and the Dodge Challenger has been documented or referenced in various TV shows and spoofs, one of which was done by Jerry Seinfeld.

3. Cyrus (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - A socially inept man meets a woman and finds out that she has a live-at-home 22 year old son with problems of his own. Stars John C. Reilly, Marissa Tomei and Jonah Hill. It's a movie that starts off one way, then takes a turn both storywise and in tone about halfway through. Reilly's character also goes through a shift early on, making his character seem a bit inconsistent, but not distractingly so, since his change can be rationalized away. I really liked the movie. It dealt with the quirks that a lot of people have in their lives but you don't often see in their public personas, and that was supported by a lot of naturalistic dialog that was largely improvized. Tonally, it fits somewhere between independent film/studio picture and comedy/drama. At one point, it does dip unnecessarily into the wacky hijinks you see in studio comedies, but it's brief and the rest of the film is pretty good and heart-felt.

Theatre: 0
DVD: 2
Blu-ray: 0
Live TV: 1
Recorded TV: 0
On Demand: 0
Internet Download: 0
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote