View Single Post
Old January 6 2013, 04:42 PM   #6
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Idea for New Series

See, the 23rd century is interesting and nice and there is a huge gap between ToS and TNG, which makes for an ideal TV series
There also huge gaps in the 23rd century itself to play with. If you imagine the Federation (briefly) to be like the face of a clock. The Klingons are at the 12 o'clock position, and the Romulans are at the 1 o'clock position. That the little wedge that Kirk's ship spent it's time in. The vast majority of the Federation in the 23rd century is untouched as far as stories go. First contacts, explorations, battles, little personal problems among the crew.

True, you wouldn't be able to do "oh my God, the Federation is going to be destroyed." But that is really okay with me, I won't miss that tired story cliche.

but we already know what happens after the show, so no new major species ...
Sure they can be, many of the best stories involved species that we only saw once. Plus there was a important Denobulan character in the 22nd century, one hundred years, two hundred years later no mention of that species. Several brand spanking new species can be introduced in the 23rd century, and the fact that they are never heard of in the 24th is meaningless. Some could be major allies or villains.

... [no new] threats can come
How often on modern television do people still discuss "The Kaiser."

or they would be mentioned on TNG/DS9/VOY
That doesn't automatically follow. Picard never mention the Organians, they were yesterdays news.

such as the Dominion, Borg, or even Ferengi
If (hypothetical) there were a series set in the 25th century, how much time do you think would be spent on the Dominion, the Borg, the Ferengi, the Cardassians, or even the Klingons and the Romulans?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote