View Single Post
Old January 6 2013, 12:30 PM   #499
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I just see Star Trek as an evolving universe and part of the fun for me when watching TOS is to see the backstory of the Trek I grew up with. Making it a reboot rids it of that completely. I'm not invested in what's going in as it isn't really Trek.
But t doesn't rid it of that completely, as evidenced by Old Spock. Through him it's a continuation of what went before.
It's got the Star Trek name on it but if given the choice I'd rather have Trek set in the same continuity as all the Non-ENT shows and movies. It's nice to fit things in to the overall universe.
As far as I'm concerned, STXI and ENT fit into the overall universe just fine. Enterprise's unrepaired damage to the timeline actually led to the TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY history not away from it. STXI's led to another timeline in the same multiverse.

A few months ago I read Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony, where an Enterprise-E security officer compared the icy wastes of Andoria to her 6-months assigned to the Starfleet outpost on Delta Vega. The old continuity is adapting just fine to what the new one is adding to Trek.