View Single Post
Old January 6 2013, 11:11 AM   #29
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

I got to see it in the theater in May 1971 for my 10th birthday. It was fantastic. Clarke was already my favorite writer then; I had read not only 2001, but Expedition to Earth, Childhood's End and Islands In The Sky, among others.

It's kind of amazing, in the current social climate, to think that there's a big-budget, epic movie like this that can only be best appreciated on the big screen-- and it has absolutely no violence or corruption whatsoever. It couldn't be made today. If somebody made 2001 today, it would be re-imagined so that the Monolith blows up the Moon, Discovery is on a mission of revenge, the interiors look like a factory basement with leaking steam pipes, Bowman is a drunk, Poole is a convicted child molester and their uniforms are leather bondage gear.

Procutus wrote: View Post
The best science-fiction film ever made, IMO.
Possibly the only Science Fiction film ever made.

Procutus wrote: View Post
There was an excellent book on the making of the movie that was in print, way back in the 70s, and it's likely that was mentioned. The book also contained various script elements that Clarke had written, but were ultimately left out of the film.
The Lost Worlds of 2001. I have it and refer to it often. The best parts are the lost chapters from the novel that describe the alien civilization behind the Monolith and their representative Clindar. "Skyrock," "Cosmopolis" et cetera. They are among the most exotic and wonderful descriptions of alien worlds that I've ever read.