View Single Post
Old January 6 2013, 12:09 AM   #27
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Re: Critical care: Satire on socialized medicine?

Alpha Flyer wrote: View Post

Recommended watching: Michael Moore's "Sicko."
Dude, I think the two of us both agree about how the health care system ought to work, but Michael Moore is a narcissist and an opportunistic editor of reality who's just as full of crap as the people he attacks, and has succeeded in turning more people against his point of view than toward it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a GOP conspiracy to fund more Michael Moore movies, because he's their ideal straw man.

I did not mean to imply that Obamacare was socialized medicine, but that's what it has been called by its opponents, who have also said it included 'rationing'.

And I might argue that, handing control over medical decisions to committee under an edict to be 'fair' would have unintended side effects that would be a less extreme version of Critical Care.

The problem with the ending of the episode I think is that, they did not solve anything. Sure, they cured these specific people who were in front of the camera. But it's heavily implied that cytoglobin is in short supply, and getting a bigger supply for their own hospital means creating a smaller supply for other hospitals, so in the long run, they have not saved any lives on balance, and they threatened the life of a bureaucrat just doing his job to achieve this.

So, they didn't solve anything, they just taught these particular bureaucrats how to play the system better.

Also, I think if we do have a system that's entirely based on need, then people who engage in risky behaviors like smoking or skydiving should have to pay more. But that's a tangent.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote