View Single Post
Old January 5 2013, 08:04 PM   #471
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Kevin W. wrote: View Post
Obviously I wasn't talking about myself specifically. Don't be ridiculous.
The statement you made is ridiculous unless you're including yourself, specifically.

Star Trek isn't and never has been "great science fiction" by the standards of the print sf being published at any given time in its production history. At the time that it was launched in the late 1960s it represented a dramatically simplified version of prose science fiction as it had existed about twenty years earlier, and it's been falling further behind ever since.

Yeah, I think first-generation TOS fans are more likely to accept and enjoy Abrams's movies than some younger folks partly for the reason Jackson Roykirk describes: we've watched Star Trek evolve into what it is one episode, one movie at a time. To some extent we participated in building it - or, at least, in constructing our expectations of it.

Even the majority of the TOS-onlies who are vociferously opposed to nuTrek seem to be folks who were born in the 1960s or 1970s and who encountered and absorbed TOS as a preexisting fait accompli.

Me, I've waited since 1969 or thereabouts for someone to make a movie actually based directly on the TV series I watched in junior high, and Abrams finally has done it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote