View Single Post
Old January 5 2013, 07:03 PM   #60
Christopher
Writer

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
That was exactly the way I read it. In another universe similar to the Prime universe, events happened (probably like Countdown) that led Nero and Spock to tumble into the past. But instead of coming out in their own past, they came out in the Mirror Universe's past.
You know, there are some continuity glitches between Countdown and the actual film... so maybe Countdown actually is in the alternate timeline this Spock and Nero came from...?

This may suggest that the 2009 film isn't a time loop like "Yesterday's Enterprise." If Nero and Spock could end up in the Mirror Universe's past, they could just as easily have ended up in a different Prime-like universe's past as well. That's not a reading of the film I particularly care for, but it's now a valid and justifiable one.
Well, it's valid within the comics' version of the universe, which is officially not canonical, according to Orci. (A TrekMovie interviewer browbeat him into saying the comics were canon at one point, but Orci only said it in jest to get the interviewer off his back on that issue, and he retracted it hours later.) So it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the canonical interpretation of events, though like I said, the fans who want the whole Abramsverse to be separate, including the 24th-century portions, are bound to jump on it as "proof."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote