View Single Post
Old January 4 2013, 07:54 PM   #377
RPJOB
Commander

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Thrawn wrote: View Post
This isn't a judgement one way or another; I think your point is pretty valid. I'm just curious - have you read either of the books in question, or is this a more philosophical thing?

I've decided that I'll read the book where a character is resurrected, just so I can speak directly to it. However, I won't be picking up any further books that have the resurrected characters in them. They're well written to be sure but I have no interest in reading about immortals for whom death is a minor setback. At least in TSFS and TVH there was a period of time where Spock had to recover. Janeway basically came back and stepped right back into her old position. She might as well have been away on shore leave for all the lingering effects coming back from the dead had on her.

Data's a special case, being an android and all but it's still annoying. Now that he's metged with Soong, someone who took steps to avoid his own death, you'd think he'd be working on a way to keep a back up of his hardware and software, just in case.