Thread: Earth's Role
View Single Post
Old January 4 2013, 07:30 PM   #135
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Re: Earth's Role

Seedy bars (or taverns, pubs, or whatever) have always existed. I'm not sure why people think it is unrealistic to show a seedy bar in the future.

We may have more technology than we did 150 or 200 years ago, but human nature really hasn't change that much. If you read novels written 150 or close to 200 years ago, such as Little Women (for examples of American life) or the works of Charles Dickens (for examples of English life), you can see that the characters are quite contemporary when compared to people today, and they have similar actions and similar motivations we have. Those stories had very recognizable themes.

I read the biography of John Adams by David McCullough and was amazed by how contemporary seeming he and the world around him were during and after the time of the American revolution. You could have changed the names and dates in the life of John Adams and get a very modern story out of it.

Human nature and humans actions have not really changed in 200 years. I don't find it hard to believe that in 200 more years the nature of people will not seem that unrecognizable to us (nor us to them).

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote