View Single Post
Old January 4 2013, 07:19 AM   #374
RPJOB
Commander

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Thrawn wrote: View Post

Nasat did a really great post a while back about the strange cognitive dissonance between generally not supporting character resurrection but also generally approving of these two stories; it's odd. Well done Beyer and Mack.
I'm on the other side of the fence. Regardless of how well they're dont I'm finished with resurrecting previously dead characters. I'm reminded of a Futurama episode where Bender discovers he doesn't have a back-up unit like he thought he did. When he's dead, he's dead. Futurama's brought characters back from the dead before, mostly thanks to Professor Farnsworth but the bit with Bender discovering he's actually not immortal was really well done.

Compare that to the whole "Janeway's back because she's really, really important" (ignoring the 60 billion dead from Destiny who apparently aren't important). Janeway's got a "Get Out of Death Free" card now.

Why should we care if any of these characters die? If they're important (i.e. get their names in the credits) they'll be back.