View Single Post
Old January 4 2013, 06:44 AM   #135
ToddCam
Captain

Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Christopher wrote: View Post

That she's a Time Lady, obviously. It's a blatantly unlikely premise on the face of it, because what's happening with Clara is blatantly unlike Gallifreyan regeneration, but you're ignoring the way it works most of the time and cherrypicking the very few exceptions in order to support a very unlikely suggestion.
You are wrong. I have no desire to see Clara as a Time Lady. I want to see a return of Susan and Romana. I wouldn't mind more Time Lords either, 1) because I hate whole races being wiped out, because it's so trite (Superman, ALF, etc.), and 2) I also think Time Lords somehow all being inaccessible is stupid, given the premise of the time-traveler known as the Doctor. If the Doctor visited Earth right after the events of "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" would Susan somehow be dead? It's stupid. But Clara herself? I can make rhetorical points (badly argued or not) without believing them to be the case. You inferred something. I didn't imply it.

But one can assess probabilities. It continually bewilders me how many people don't seem to understand the concept of probability. Just because multiple possibilities exist doesn't mean they're equally likely or equally worth taking seriously. Assessing the probabilities of different ideas lets you determine which ones are more likely to be true and which ones are more likely to be false. Yes, sometimes an unlikely premise turns out to be true, but you don't favor it without evidence. And you sure as hell don't make up whatever ad hoc rationalizations you need in order to justify it. The more convoluted excuses you have to pile on in order to argue that something could be true, the less credibility it has.

Besides, as I've said, it's just so damned unimaginative. We've had Time Lords in the show. We've had plenty of them, including secret part-Gallifreyans like River. What we've seen of Clara so far suggests she's something different and new. Different and new is interesting. It's exciting. I don't understand the desire of so many people to reject the possibility of something different and new and want it to be just more of the same old stuff we've already seen.
I do understand probabilities, and as you quoted, I said I have serious doubts. I think it's almost certain she isn't a Time Lady.

While I appreciate the fact that you don't hedge your statements with "I think," unimaginative is a relative term. Frankly, I think another young pretty white girl as the companion is unimaginative. I think human companions are unimaginative (though she might be something else, I suppose). So more Time Lords is unimaginative? Because there have been TWO of them as companions in 50 years?

Companions:
Time Lords: Susan, Romana
Humans: Ian, Barbara, Vicki, Steven, Dodo, Ben, Polly, Jamie, Victoria, Zoe, Liz, Jo, Sarah Jane, Harry, Leela, Tegan, Peri, Mel, Ace, Rose, Adam, Jack, Mickey, Martha, Donna, Amy, Rory
Alzarians: Adric
Trakenites: Nyssa
Trions: Turlough
robot dogs: K-9

(I left out the UNIT guys, and the one-shotters, and River because of their narrative ambiguity as Companions.)

If anything, making the new companion a Time Lady would bring some much needed diversity to the list. When I first saw "Asylum of the Daleks" and was surprised by Jenna-Louise Coleman's appearance, I actually thought how cool it would be to have a Dalek companion! She died at the end, so that idea was quashed. Ah, well.

Last edited by ToddCam; January 4 2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Number
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote