View Single Post
Old January 4 2013, 05:18 AM   #133
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

ToddCam wrote: View Post
What desired conclusion am I starting with?
That she's a Time Lady, obviously. It's a blatantly unlikely premise on the face of it, because what's happening with Clara is blatantly unlike Gallifreyan regeneration, but you're ignoring the way it works most of the time and cherrypicking the very few exceptions in order to support a very unlikely suggestion.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Clara is regenerating, and I seriously doubt that's the situation. I just don't think you can rule it out.
But one can assess probabilities. It continually bewilders me how many people don't seem to understand the concept of probability. Just because multiple possibilities exist doesn't mean they're equally likely or equally worth taking seriously. Assessing the probabilities of different ideas lets you determine which ones are more likely to be true and which ones are more likely to be false. Yes, sometimes an unlikely premise turns out to be true, but you don't favor it without evidence. And you sure as hell don't make up whatever ad hoc rationalizations you need in order to justify it. The more convoluted excuses you have to pile on in order to argue that something could be true, the less credibility it has.

Besides, as I've said, it's just so damned unimaginative. We've had Time Lords in the show. We've had plenty of them, including secret part-Gallifreyans like River. What we've seen of Clara so far suggests she's something different and new. Different and new is interesting. It's exciting. I don't understand the desire of so many people to reject the possibility of something different and new and want it to be just more of the same old stuff we've already seen.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote