Old January 4 2013, 01:39 AM   #65
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
It could be my imagination, but in III there was supposed to be a scene where Sulu gets offered command of Excelsior. It happens around the same time Kirk contacts him about stealing the Enterprise. I could be remembering a scene from the book, though.
OK. I don't see how that scene would have served the needs of the plot (i.e., Kirk escaping from Captain Pompous on his pompous new ship). If it was there, however, I'd be curious as to why it was there. Did Takei make demands?
You'd need someone to say if it is in the book or not since I don't have it to confirm the scene is there or just my misremembering. It's absence doesn't change the flow of the movie. If there were anything to add, I'd rather it were how Uhura ran electronic interference for the get away and got out of the transporter station and to the Vulcan Embassy for asylum.
The scene in question was in the novelization of Star Trek II and was part of the shuttle scene where Kirk and Sulu have the following exchange:

Kirk: I hate inspections.

Sulu: I'm delighted. Any chance to go aboard the Enterprise.

Kirk: Well, I for one am glad to have you at the helm for three weeks. I don't think these kids can steer.

What happened with the scene in the film, I have no idea, but I remember it being in the novel. Of course, we all know that novelists (JM Dillard in this case) flesh out the story, adding things that were not in the movie (movies 3 and 5 for example don't even start until the books are well over 100 pages in), so wiether or not this scene was a part of the script, I can't say.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote