View Single Post
Old January 3 2013, 05:54 PM   #433
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Franklin wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'm still at a loss as to why people are judging a TOS revival/Reboot (Hard/soft, whatever you want to call it) by pointing at TNG and/or DS9?

Any complaints/concerns about JJ Abrams Trek should be of things that go against TOS Trek, if you have to reach into TNG and beyond era to find a discrepancy of JJ Abrams Trek to Prime Universe Trek, then you are looking in the wrong place, JJ Abrams Trek is not TNG period.
Well, that could simply be an age issue. TNG may be the main frame of reference for what Trek "is" for younger fans who've only seen TOS on VHS or even only on DVD. Us older farts lead with our TOS values.
That's my own unscientific impression as well: that a good number (most?) of the fans who have issues with the movie are of the TNG generation, as opposed to us old-school TOS types. And, yes, I've grumbled in the past about people applying "TNG standards" to a movie based on TOS.

But, I suppose, if you're expecting something like TNG, the new movie might come as something as a shock. As I've said before, the reboot added a bit of a rock-n-roll vibe to a franchise that was starting to feel like chamber music . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; January 3 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote