View Single Post
Old January 3 2013, 04:40 PM   #8
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

2. The Help (B+)

I got this for my mother for Christmas, so we watched it last night, before I head back to university. She'd never seen it before, but I watched it when it came out in theatres. My opinion on it is more or less the same. It's tonally uneven and not a great movie, but it has a number of great scenes, and a terrific female ensemble (it's one of the few movies I can think of that fails the reverse-Bechdel Test). This was the first movie I saw with Jessica Chastain, who has quickly become one of my favourite contemporary actresses, so it was neat to watch it again now that I know who she is. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer are also terrific; Emma Stone is good; Bryce Dallas Howard is game, but her cartoonish villain is one of the story's main weak points (and is also another instance where a character is inexplicably supposed to have been lifelong friends with some who is quite obviously a horrible person and who they seem to openly dislike from the get-go).

Cinema: 1
Home Video: 1 (+1)
Computer: 0

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote