View Single Post
Old January 3 2013, 05:26 AM   #423
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
With Kirk you'd likely get both...
I love Kirk as much as anybody but I think Picard sums up what I personally like about Star Trek more than the other captains. Kirk is too driven by his passions. Picard is more about intellect, while still being a man of supreme conscience.

The Inner Light is my favourite episode of all Trek. Closely followed by DS9's The Visitor.

I like TNG a lot (as I do TOS). I love "The Inner Light".

However, I still feel the whole "we are sooooo enlightened in the 24th century" shpeel to be unbelievable. As I said above, I find their ideas of what the 24th century to be like to be creepy in a way, and (as others have pointed out) a little pompous. Even with that, I STILL enjoy TNG, because I know it's just fiction, as is its idea that the 24th century is full of renaissance men who can all recite Shakespeare and Keats, all have a passion for classical music, and who all can't fathom the idea of human injustice, human violence, or human prejudice.
Well, yeah. That's why I love Lily's send-up of that so much in First Contact. That scene gives me goosebumps every damn time.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote