View Single Post
Old January 3 2013, 04:56 AM   #421
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
[
I like TNG a lot (as I do TOS). I love "The Inner Light".
Good! Was beginning to worry I was alone here in being a Star Trek fan and not just a TOS fan .

However, I still feel the whole "we are sooooo enlightened in the 24th century" shpeel to be unbelievable. Even with that, I like TNG, because I know it's just fiction, as is it idea that the 24th century is full of renaissance men who can all recite Shakespeare and Keats, all have a passion for classical music, and who all can't fathom the idea of human injustice, human violence, or human prejudice.
I'm too cynical to believe in it but I really love that level of optimism. That people will stop being anti-intellectual, cruel morons and team up in the pursuit of knowledge and kindness. That's what appealed to me about TNG as a kid.

I don't think the TNG idea of the 24th century is our future (at least I hope it isn't), but I still enjoy TNG immensely.
I'd say it's more convincing than TOS which seems to think in the future women will be sexually objectified constantly in the work place .

Nah, I actually love the mini-skirts. It seems so weird now that it adds to TOS' escapism factor. Still one of my fave TV shows despite it's flaws.

None of the Star Treks offer a convincing future but at least they make a solid enough effort. I have little doubt that Star Trek Into Darkness will be a dumb, shitty movie but I'll never bash it for being an unconvincing representation of the future. Only Blade Runner has ever really done a good job of that and even that's insanely dated now.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote