View Single Post
Old January 3 2013, 04:43 AM   #34
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: The West Wing now on Netflix

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
shivkala wrote: View Post
Aside from Sam, Toby, and C.J. (and for the smart-alecks, Bartlett and Mrs. Landingham have pretty defined jobs as well!), the character's job descriptions aren't well fleshed out. I really want to see the organizational chart Josh's office is working on for Mandy!
Here you go.

That is awesome! Thanks! But, you left out Mrs. Landingham.

Leo pretty much runs the West Wing, he manages everything so that the President is freed up to focus on important policy decisions, and as such his job is arguably more demanding than the President's. Leo is also the only member of of the senior staff to be involved in military decisions and sits at the President's side in the Situation Room.
And, as seen in episode 3, he bitch slaps the President when needed.

Josh is Deputy Chief of Staff, which is a fancy title that doesn't seem to mean much. His main role is to direct political affairs, it's his job to push the President's agenda through congress and the various government departments.
That makes sense, and fits nicely with his introduction in the first episode, as well as his lack of a task in episode 3, seeing as how the President was exercising his powers as Commander in Chief, acting without Congress.

Toby is the Communications Director, so he orchestrates the President's message and decides how it's presented to the public, although he rarely deals with the press directly. He's also the President's main speech-writer. Sam is Toby's deputy, and he works with Toby on the speeches.
And directs White House Tours when Leo wants to mess with him, right?

CJ is the Press Secretary and it's indicated that she technically works under Toby, but in practice she does her own thing and reports directly to Leo.
And, given her frustration at the Sam/Cuddy situation, it seems Toby answers to her, at times!

Mandy's job is to annoy people while they're trying to do actual work. She answers to Josh and she answers to Toby.
So, to be clear, she answers to Josh and she answers to Toby, right? I talked to my sister today and she echoed the comments in this thread: no one likes Mandy and she's gone fairly quickly.

Donna is pretty much Josh's secretary. Her role in the first season is to not understand how the government works so that Josh can explain everything to the audience.
She also seems to excel at making Josh's life more difficult, under the guise of helping him.

Charlie is the lowest ranked of the main cast and has no official role in policy, but he works extremely closely with the President and has a desk right outside the Oval Office. His job is to be the token black guy.
I liked how they addressed and quickly brushed off the issue of race in terms of Charlie by making a big deal about it and being told by an Admiral it's not a big deal.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote