View Single Post
Old January 3 2013, 04:31 AM   #415
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I love DS9 the most out of the Treks but I had to roll my eyes during my current rewatch when Sisko warned Jake that writing off the views of insane, babbling, uncivilised crackpot witches was a form of ignorant fundamentalist intolerance and that all beliefs are equally valid.
And if Trek truly supported this, the practices of the Borg would be a valid lifestyle. You're right; beliefs aren't equal.

Kevin W. wrote: View Post
It's possible to be prejudiced against someone based on the choices in life they make. Roddenberry's attitude towards religion was blatantly prejudicial.

As per Braga: "In Gene Roddenberry's imagining of the future [...] religion is completely gone. Not a single human being on Earth believes in any of the nonsense that has plagued our civilization for thousands of years. This was an important part of Roddenberry's mythology. He, himself, was a secular humanist and made it well-known to writers of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation that religion and superstition and mystical thinking were not to be part of his universe. On Roddenberry's future Earth, everyone is an atheist. And that world is the better for it."

That kind of thinking is prejudicial.
How's it any different than Trek's future being a world where humans no longer go to war or no longer steal from the poor? Superstition is something that Roddenberry thought was an impediment to human progress and morality and so he had it removed in his ideal future along with other things. If you personally don't think it is an impediment, that's your opinion, but I don't think there's anything prejudicial about Roddenberry removing one more idea he thought was harmful to humans along with all the others he removed in the ST future.

That's the kind of person who believes that all people of faith are evil backwards people, and that is prejudice.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Roddenberry never said that anyone who has faith is an evil, backwards person. Just that he didn't like something that many people, some extraordinarily good, some extraordinarily evil, happened to believe. It's entirely possible to think that there are good, kind, considerate religious people while simultaneously thinking that the concept of superstition (which religion IS; it's belief without evidence, the very definition of superstition) is harmful to humanity as a whole.