View Single Post
Old January 3 2013, 02:08 AM   #70
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

JJohnson wrote: View Post
It's great that it's higher definition, but I'm still disappointed by the missed opportunity they're deliberately making by not improving the special effects in any way. Recompositing is nice, yes, but if an effect looked a bit hokey, why not replace it with something better? Why not give us more than just the same Romulan Warbirds and Excelsior/Miranda/Oberth ships in Starfleet? I might buy this out of loyalty for Star Trek, but only when the price drops. I seriously hope they rethink their stance on redoing the FX at some point.
It's a remastering, not a reimagining. They are taking the correct stance in preserving the show how it was, first and foremost.

If they want to do an alternative version as a viewing option (with new effects, new ships, whatever), they can make that decision afterwards. In the meantime, I want to see the original work as it was made in the 80s/90s, with as much clarity as possible.

Salinga wrote: View Post
On the one hand, cropping top/bottom for 16:9 treatment is dismissed by many, but on the other hand, cropping a 4:3 frame to an even smaller area, showing even lesser of the original footage, is okay?
Neither is okay, but the latter doesn't destroy the shot composition, so it's the lesser of two evils.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote