View Single Post
Old January 2 2013, 11:01 PM   #19
jpch
Commander

Re: Purposing Federation Ships During the Dominion War

Vanyel wrote: View Post
jpch wrote: View Post
Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Or upgradeable to do the same. For that matter, even if both Galaxy and Intrepid have Type X phasers, capable of outputting X terawatts (or whatever) of power, who's to say the Intrepid has that kind of juice to dump into the phasers anyway? The Galaxy may have more raw power to use for phasers or shields or whatever. Same speakers in the system, more juice in the bigger D batteries, if you'll pardon the pun.

Mark
hehe,but the Intrepid has a mark 9 warpcore that allows it to achieve a speed of 9.975 impossible to for the Galaxy to reach,if you remember warp 9.6 was max speed 9.8 could destroy the ship,i highly sought a ship with slower main propulsion has more power.

In addition the Galaxy Class was less military,stated by the producers themselves on a youtube video i have seen,they also said that the Intrepid was more combat oriented.
another thing to think about is that the Galaxy class has civilians families,schools,18 holodecks,large Saloons,Lecture halls,many Gyms etc...all of these cost a lot of power...
And during war, the families would be removed from the ship.
Unused space could be closed off, and powered off, meaning the number of different recreational facilities would be cut down.
Some systems put to minimal power meaning some holodecks holodecks shut down, the ones still open used for training.
Less people on board would mean less power used by the replicators, or a return to a galley system.
Less people also opens up space that can be used for extra power cells, more power connections to phasers, extra shield generators, all things that can be left in an un-powered, non habitable space onboard the ship. The 1701D seemed quite capable of return a cargo bay back into a habitable space within seconds during Disaster, and the ship was damaged. So I see no reason why large portions of the ship could be turned off, then reactivated when access to those areas is essential.
The power saved could then be reallocated to weapons and shields.
Oh i never thought about that...good thinking.
maybe thats why the only ship that was not getting blown up in the Dominion war was the Galaxy
jpch is offline   Reply With Quote