View Single Post
Old January 2 2013, 06:02 PM   #370
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
As for "The universe needs the Enterprise crew to come together" seen upthread...I *think* that was born out of interviews with Nimoy. I understand the reflexive distaste for those Gaimanesque notions, but i had no problem with it.
Well, we don't have to see that in mystical terms. One could just say that disrupted timestreams tend to correct themselves by making small course corrections. Seems to me that I've seen that concept--that small changes in the timeline tend to sort themselves out--in any number of classic time-travel stories by Poul Anderson or Fritz Leiber or whomever.

Think of it as a purely natural phenomenon. Like a river that returns to its original course even if its path is temporarily diverted . . ..
Not to mention that Spock says as much in City on the Edge of Forever (the exact quotation escapes me at the moment--something about why they should expect McCoy to end up in NYC rather than Mongolia or something like that). It even makes for a "canon" reason for the crew coming together in the new timeline--an attempt for things to unfold in a roughly analogous, though hardly identical, fashion (that is when I bother to think about popcorn entertainment like Star Trek movies beyond "that was fun and entertaining" or "well, that could have been better").
Ovation is online now   Reply With Quote