View Single Post
Old January 2 2013, 09:22 AM   #354
YARN
Fleet Captain

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Cartoonist wrote: View Post
The academy graduate shakedown cruise and Kirk's elevation to power was convincing enough given the circumstances presented in the film,
No it does not. He was a cadet, not an officer. He was not supposed to be on the ship. There were plenty of more qualified people, some of them were already on the bridge. No one goes from stowaway to XO in a day.

This could have and should have been handled better.

Doesn't make it a bad film. Doesn't ruin Star Trek. Isn't the worst thing ever. It's just a flaw.

especially when you consider Old Spock's observation that there are some pivotal situations the universe essentially WANTS to happen,
Deus ex Machina much? The universe simply wants it to happen, so it will? So much for tension or stakes. Just relax and let the universe work it out for you.

Why would the universe even care about who is in command of a tiny ship, belonging to a tiny species, in a little blip of the universe? How would the universe even know who is in command?

I'll remind you that we're talking about a series of shows and movies that depict alternate universes, time travel, a device that built a planet out of a nebula (a planet that just so happened to be perfectly suited to magically turn Spock's decaying corpse into a living body just in time to restore his soul that McCoy was carrying around in his head). A series that portrays a galaxy filled with HUMANOID aliens, and features small crystals that allow faster than light travel, crews that routinely defeat godlike opponents, and countless other motifs that demand an awful lot of suspension of disbelief. Kirk becoming Captain because Pike promoted him to First Officer before Spock lost control of his emotions was the epitome of "believable" compared to all that.
Tu Quoque? Well, OK, but this line of response does nothing to repudiate the claim that it is a narrative flaw.

EX: A drunk driver can point out that everyone else on the road is drunk too, but that does not make her any less guilty herself.

Again, this could have and should have been handled better.

Doesn't make it a bad film. Doesn't ruin Star Trek. Isn't the worst thing ever. It's just a flaw.

I'll add to that that even if it WERE far-fetched, that's what fantasy, scifi and action films are supposed to contain: far-fetched moments. We don't go see movies to see business proceed as usual.
This is the part where I write a really long paragraph and talk about suspension of disbelief and how you have to carefully earn those far-fetched moments. But I won't, because any reasonable person of goodwill will admit that there are limits and not just anything goes in a genre picture, merely because its in a genre (on the contrary, genres are highly conventionalized too).
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote