View Single Post
Old January 1 2013, 07:38 PM   #131
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
marillion wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Doctor Who is the exception to the rule. But even then, RTD made sure he had a non-fan as an executive producer who had veto authority, Julie Gardner. Interestingly enough, some of the more fanwanky things done during RTD's era (like seeing Gallifrey or a montage of all the Doctors) were actually Gardner's idea.

Moffat on the other hand has made Doctor Who less accessable to non-fans. Hell, he's even made it a bit too confusing for fans.
Sorry I'm late to the game on this one, but I'm going to disagree with you a bit on the Dr. Who thought... I've never seen Dr. Who more popular (at least here in the states) than it is right now.. Yes, the marketing, both social a traditional has been much more prevailent that ever before, but I see non-geeky kids my daughter's age (15) wearing t-shirts, hats, socks and snapping up the toys and knick-knacks at a feverish clip. These are the same kinds of kids who scoffed at my love of things Who way back in the 80's.

A whole new generation is digging on Doctor Who and I think that bodes well.
I know Doctor Who's popularity is at an all-time high, especially in the US. I just find the episodes of Moffat's run require more foreknolwdge of previous episodes than the episodes of RTD's did. Strictly IMO, of course.
Yeah, I think that's true. Although I don't think there really needs to be a lot of knowledge of previous episodes. The ongoing story arc is generally only build upon in major episodes and each season has a different one. So that's similar to RTD. The big exception to this rule was River Song. I think that's done now - the mystery has been revealed.