View Single Post
Old January 1 2013, 04:26 PM   #129
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years

datalogan wrote: View Post
Some things discussed in this book that supposedly take place around the timeframe of your next novel, Christopher:
-The Enterprise NX-01 return to Earth seen in “These Are The Voyages” and the speech Archer makes in that episode are on 2161 Jan 18, at the beginning of the second convention for the Coalition of Planets Charter, called for after the Romulan War.
-Federation Charter, which was signed and Federation established on 2161 Oct 11, was made at this second convention to make a Coalitions of Planets Charter.
Well, that's a good way of reconciling the inconsistency of Deanna's line in TATV about the convention being the first step that would "lead to" the Federation. Of course, the novels handled it differently. Then again, since I'm picking up after the UFP already exists, I don't have to worry about that.

-Earth Ambassador to the convention that made the Federation Charter was Thomas Vanderbilt. He’s credited with coming up with the name “United Federation of Planets”. He also became the first President of the Federation, not Nathan Samuels
The name Thomas Vanderbilt for the first UFP president comes from unseen production art for Star Trek Generations, an article from Picard's family album. The Romulan War novels established Vanderbilt as Earth's defense minister during the war, though he was called the environment minister in the chapter depicting the signing of the charter. I also independently went with Vanderbilt as the first president.

I don't recall any source claiming that Nathan Samuels ever became the UFP president. There is a reference in To Brave the Storm's final chapter to a "Nathan Samuels Room" at the Palais de la Concorde, but I think the novels established that the Palais was the Earth Prime Minister's residence before it became the UFP President's.

-Admiral Douglas, who had been the head of Earth’s Starfleet during the Romulan War, did not become head of the new Federation Starfleet, but instead started Starfleet Academy, which was founded on 2161 Dec 13.
In canon, Admiral Gardner led Starfleet after Forrest died, and he was the commanding admiral in the RW novels as well. Douglas was mentioned in passing in TATV and The Good That Men Do, but that's about it.

-Daedalus starships were warp-7 ships that were made by Starfleet after the founding of the Federation (not earlier during the Romulan War).
The novels have established that Daedalus-class ships had been around well before the war, in fact.

-USS Daedalus was commanded by Malcolm Reed.
-USS Horizon captained by Vince Waldron.
There is a Daedalus-class ship and crew appearing in A Choice of Futures, but it's neither of those.

-Archer retires from Starfleet as an Admiral in 2169, then becomes Ambassador to Andoria by 2174. Then becoming a representative on the Federation Council in 2175. Then Federation President in 2185.
This is from Mike Sussman's bio screen for Archer in "In a Mirror, Darkly Part 2," so it comes as no surprise. None of this conflicts with what I'm doing, though of course ACoF is only in 2162-3.

-Prime Directive adopted in 2178, based a lot on Archer’s work.
Again, no conflict. Interesting choice of date. It's unclear when the PD was established, but New Frontier: Double or Nothing mentions a 2175 Resolution of Non-Interference which was an important step toward the later establishment of the Prime Directive.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote