View Single Post
Old January 1 2013, 12:04 AM   #83
Iamnotspock
Captain

Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I doubt Moffat would come near this place. Does he even like Trek?

He originally wanted The Doctor to bash it during The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.
Not bash exactly, as I understood it. After Rose had informed Jack that the Doctor's name was "Mr. Spock", the line that was originally to follow her "Don't you ever get tired of 'Doctor'? Doctor who?!" was, "I'd rather have 'Doctor Who' than Star Trek!" Moffat then decided it was a silly joke. That hardly seems to be bashing it, though.

On topic, I had a thought about the Doctor, that perhaps he's been gradually erasing his own memory to avoid answering the First Question. We know that Moffat likes to play around with memory (the Silence, the Daleks forgetting the Doctor, Clara/Oswin's dying "...remember", the gag with the memory worm), and its validity. We know that "on the fields of Trenzalore... where no living being can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked"; if the Doctor's name is significant in a Rumplestiltskin-esque way, and will cause untold problems when revealed, perhaps the only way the Doctor can avoid revealing it is if he himself doesn't know the answer.

I'm betting that the gag with Strax and the memory worm and the Doctor seeming not to fully remember the Great Intelligence were pieces of foreshadowing. Like Strax, the Doctor could be using a memory worm or some other technique to gradually erase his early memories and not even know he's doing it. Of course, he'd eventually have to rediscover his identity - cue big 50th special in which the Doctor relearns who he is by revisiting his own past.

Perhaps Clara could be the key to his memories somehow.
Iamnotspock is online now   Reply With Quote