View Single Post
Old December 30 2012, 05:58 AM   #92
UFO
Captain

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Santa Kang wrote: View Post
People who go to the movies. From a marketing standpoint Kirk and Spock are a safer bet than Picard and Data, Sisko and Kira, Janeway and Seven or Archer and T'Pol.

Not really. Star Wars and Luke were unknown in 1977. Folks went in no knowlege of either one. Star Trek has been around for decades and is part of our culture. Even if people call him Dr. Spock, they have a vague idea who Spock is.
With fans maybe, but the general public might have been put off with all of them to some degree. A new crew could have been just as likely to succeed if everything else was right, in the same way that a new movie will succeed when it gets things right.

Yeah actually they should have, but I doubt the movie folks would have gone for that
Actually I meant instead of making TNG on TV, not the TNG movies.

What would make it a "Trek for our time"? Any show would reflect the time in which it is made. A rebooted TOS made in the 80/90 is not going to be a copy of the 60s version any more the ST09 was.
Exactly my point. Ie. it wouldn't be just a follow on from TNG, Voy etc. So assuming it will be boring or low rating just because it "follows on" is not set in stone if it had modern treatment and stories etc.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
One of the great things about Trek (and TOS in particular) is that the format was big enough to allow for all kinds of different stories: courtroom dramas, murder mysteries, war stories, trippy scifi mind-benders, morality plays, love stories, even the occasional farce.
Sure but in my view, whatever form it takes, Trek should abide by its main tenets or explain why not. Such things as the idea that "we won't kill (or beat up someone) today" etc. When you ignore those types of things you lose the underpinnings of Trek no matter what the style or story type. You also lose the optimism that seemed fairly unique to Trek. TOS and less subtly TNG anyway.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote