View Single Post
Old December 29 2012, 09:37 PM   #55
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

But you're judging a two-hour film vs. a series that had seven hundred episodes. I'm sure you could find plenty of episodes that had too much bam in there and I'm sure many people could use examples of single episodes/movies to claim the Prime timeline had too little substance.
So? What else am I supposed to judge it by? Hopes and dreams?
I don't think you judge the totality of J.J. Abrams work until we have it all in. It's no different than judging the collection of Modern Trek back in 1987 watching Encounter at Farpoint.

For me, Star Trek 2009 had a ton of missed opportunities and gaffes. But I understand, much like when they were making Encounter at Farpoint, that there would be growing pains in the process.

Did anyone think there'd be another six hundred plus episodes of Trek when they watched that episode in 1987?
So by that definition all discussion and opinions of NuTrek shouldn't happen until JJ is done making movies? That doesn't make any sense.

The 09 movie(that I wish had a name at the very least) had more of a Star Wars feel, graphics and cheap humor over substance, to it. It really didn't feel to me like I was watching Kirk and Spock as opposed to two other people pretending to be them either. That perception could change over time, ut until I've more material to go on, that's my view. The previews for Into Darkness seem like it's going to be action heavy, but maybe it'll have a good story driving it. I hope so at any rate.