View Single Post
Old December 29 2012, 06:58 PM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: What is your favorite series and why?

sonak wrote: View Post
Santa Kang wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post

Yes I have. Both original and Remastered versions. It's my dad's favorite series. I like it, and it has some great episodes. But some of the concepts are very formulaic in a way that I don't enjoy.

I still get a kick out of watching the episodes, but I don't actively seek them.
Which "concepts" are "formulaic"?

oh come on, I think even dedicated fans of TOS would admit they relied on formulas A LOT.

How about:

-Kirk battles a supercomputer(and tricks it with logic puzzles)?
-they beam down to a parallel Earth planet?
-they face an alien creature with God-like powers, or that practically IS a God?

I think it's unquestionable that TOS relied a lot on some key plot formulas a lot, but that was probably a result of a lot of different factors.(the parallel Earth culture plot was very handy to save money, for example)
Yeah they used similar plots and plot elements from time to time but are those "concepts" he's referring to?

Just how many Parallel Earths were there? Miri's World, Omega IV. "Terra Roma" for sure. The Nazi one was the result of Human interference and not the native culture. Same for the Gangsters in "A Piece of the Action".

God like aliens seems to be a staple of all the shows. (Q, the Dowd, the Prophets, the Caretaker)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote