View Single Post
Old December 28 2012, 11:16 PM   #348
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
It made me think that 2012 sucked for movies.
What? 2012 has been widely considered as one of the best years for movies in quite some time.
When I have some time, I'll elaborate on this post, but here's what comes to mind:

The Dark Knight Rises: - hard to believe that G. I. Joe moved to next year to avoid being near this one when G. I. Joe, whoile looking shallow and dumb, look like a fun summer blockbuster. And the fact that TDKR was a mess didn't help.

Skyfall: Why did Bond have to go to Shanghai to beat up a bad guy instead of down the block? For no good reason, save that Shanghai looked much better in the publicity stills. A hallow mess of a film that was a thinly-veiled copy of The Dark Knight and Straw Dogs.

Looper: A clever idea for a short subject that can't fill out a full-length film no matter how much people seem to justify it.

Avengers: I liked this one quite a bit. I even bought and I enjoy it. the last forty minutes felt like a real comic book come to life. Still, much of the script, upon re-watching, feels padded and dumb and difficult to get through. Does anyone really remember or care why Loki and Hawkeye wanted some old man's eye ball signature? Was Whedon really trying to fool both us and the characters into thinking that they were bringing Banner in solely for his expertise in Gamma rays? Please. Still, this film gets a pass but it's hardly an excellent film.

Last edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster; December 29 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote