View Single Post
Old December 28 2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Absolutely yes! I loved Voyager and Enterprise, I enjoy watching the last two TNG films (flawed though they may be).

Star Trek is a lot of things to a lot of people but at the very end of the day Trek is a brand and it is a business. It got an amazing and outstanding run on TV and in film but it had just run its course.

Trek, the way it was being presented on TV and on the big screen just wasn't doing it for a broader audience. They needed something fresh and new but familiar. There is no way they were going to gamble Star Trek's name on a brand new set of characters it is clear that Paramount wanted something that people would recognize (TOS) but done with a fresh coat of paint. Add in some of the hottest creative people in film at the moment and you've got a winner on your hands.

As it turns out, that is what they got. I've lost count of the number of people who never even gave Trek a chance until the JJ movie and while prefer to stick to that specific incarnation many more have come to like all that came before.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote