View Single Post
Old December 28 2012, 08:28 PM   #76
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone familiar with the BBC version of Sherlock Holmes? (spoiler

I tended to associate Lucy Liu with Quentin Tarantino movies, which is not a positive thing. I had negative expectations for Elementary, thinking the female Watson was intended for Unresolved Sexual Tension, a trap they've completely evaded thus far. I had positive expectations for Sherlock because I associated Steven Moffat with Dr. Who, which is too fantasy/nostalgia oriented to be consistently appealing for me, but has many good things in its writing.

But there is one kind of expectation that it seems to me is inescapable in approaching a Holmes adaptation, which is expcting Holmes to be the protagonist. Sherlock's Holmes is a self-avowed sociopath, while Elementary's Holmes is flawed. One makes some people horny while the other's weakness is unattractive. Obviously tastes will differ but not finding the difference to be important is in a sense the same as claiming that taste is completely irrelevant. Our duty apparently is to just buy what the writers write? This is especially true because Sherlock and Elementary really are in very many ways not just alternatives but opposites.